Review: The Snoozer Super Orthopedic Lounge Pet Bed
PRODUCT OVERVIEW: The Snoozer Super Orthopedic dog bed offers a 7-inch thick egg-crate foam mattress to give your dog support for its joints, bones and muscles.
The bed features a waterproof cover made from canvas and fleece on top with a brass zipper on one side for easy removal.
The cover is washable- this plush bed comes in a wide variety of colors such as Black/Cream Sherpa, Green/Black Sherpa, Green/Cream Sherpa, Burgandy with Black Sherpa, and many more.
- 7-inch convoluted foam pad – both sides
- Waterproof cover
- Soft sherpa fabric on cover
- Removable zipperd cover is machine washable (line dry)
- Solid rust free brass zipper
- Convoluted (egg-crate) foam on both sides provides a good thickness
- Medium: 36” x 28” x 7”
- Large: 45” x 30” x 7”
- Extra Large: 54” x 36” x 7”
CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIALS
The Snoozer Super Orthopedic Lounge dog bed consists of two parts: The inner foam pad and the cover.
The Foam: Is a 7-inch convoluted foam pad formed by two sheets of convoluted foam glued together on a firmer foam. Convoluted foam is an egg-crate shape foam as shown in the image.
This convoluted foam is not a memory foam pad. It’s labeled as orthopedic due to its egg-crate shape on top, but it does not provide the softness and cushion that a memory foam pad does.
The Cover: The entire cover is made from canvas type fabric on sides and bottom.
This fabric makes a noise almost as a tarp when the dog moves on it. The top of the cover has a sherpa/fleece fabric lined with the same tough canvas material which gives it the waterproof feature.
The cover has a sturdy brass zipper on one side so the cover unzips half way.
The bed comes folded in a box so once unpacked, you need to let it sit to fully expand before letting your dog lay on it.
SIZES AND SUITABILITY
The best way to pick the size is using the following guidelines:
1.Measure the dimension of your dog from its nose to its rump or back legs when lying down the way he is used to lay in.
2.Add to this dimension from 9 to 12 inches or more, depending on how much room you want for your dog.
The following weight guidelines will help you:
Medium: 28W x 36L x 7H ; Dogs up to 40 lbs
Large: 30W x 45L x 7H ; Dogs up to 85 lbs
Extra Large: 36W x 54L x 7H ; Dogs up to 140 lbs
To help you with one example, the Extra Large bed is big enough to accommodate two big dogs comfortably. We’ve seen pictures of two dogs (one weighing 80 lbs and the other 40 lbs) sleeping on this extra-large dog bed.
THE GOOD AND THE BAD: WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY
- 7” thick orthopedic foam bed
- Label sizes are accurate
- High-quality materials, sturdy bed with a good finish
- Good quality brass zipper
- Removable cover is machine washable (line dry)
- Good elevation being not too low or too high
- BONUS: A wide variety of colors available
- Fleece on top attracts dog hair
- Too firm for dogs that like cushy beds
- Location of zipper on top instead the bottom (the dog’s body is in contact with the zipper)
- Zipper does not have a flap to cover it.
- Foam does not have an extra waterproof lining
- While attractive, buyers looking for a cute dog bed, looked elsewhere
- The cover is kind of stiff and makes a crackling noise when the dogs moves on it.
- It’s difficult to put the cover back on since the zipper is on one side.
- Not great for outdoor use- check out these outdoor dog beds if that’s what you’re looking for.
- YOU MAY NOT MIND: Cover can’t go in the dryer
√ If you don’t want your dog with its legs hanging off the side when stretching out, pick the next size, not the smaller one.
√ Don’t use fabric softner when washing the cover and only line dry.
Snoozer Super Orthopedic Lounge dog bed is a good quality dog bed that seems to be overly stiff in comparison to other dog beds. The reason for this is because this bed isn’t made from memory foam. The orthopedic label is due to the fact that the top layer is an egg-crate type foam but this fact does not make a bed truly orthopedic.
Overall, this dog bed has a good quality and nice finish and provides a good cushioning and lift of the dog’s body from the floor. The fact that this bed is not made from memory foam makes it more suitable for healthy dogs.
The cover is noisy due to the fact that it’s waterproof. An important thing to mention about this is even waterproof covers could leak if you leave any liquid sitting on the cover for more than 2 or 3 hours, unless they are completely plastic. You need to remove any liquid from the cover before this happens.
√ Snoozer Super Orthopedic dog bed is suitable:
- If you want to lift your dog’s body from the floor providing a firm support
- To reduce the pressure points on the dog’s body with the egg-crate top layer
- If you want a cover that handles little amount of liquids (removing the liquids off the cover withing 3 hrs)
x This dog bed may not be suitable:
- For dogs with arthritis (orthopedic memory foam beds are better)
- For recovering dogs after surgery
- Dogs with urinary incontinence
- Puppies or chewers (zipper exposed)
- If you can’t handle crackling noises